Tuesday, July 21, 2009

[Spicy] Thai One Pot


This dish and I go back. Way back. But then we lost each other, only to be reunited years later. When Paul and I were living in DC this recipe first found it's way to me. We both recall the recipe being on the back of a rice package. But I recall it being on a Rose's bag, and Paul recalls it being on something different. Perhaps it's irrelevant. What I do know is that this simple and cheap recipe came into our lives and then left us. We made it for a few years relying on the recipe on the back of the bag. With our first move overseas after being married, we lost our Spicy Thai One Pot.

After living in Turkmenistan for a few years, we flew to Singapore to visit my folks who were living there. If you've ever lived in Turkmenistan, you'd understand the simple pleasures of perusing the aisles of a grocery store. After about 10 minutes in their apartment, we decided to visit the little grocery store in their complex. Lo and behold, what did we find? The same rice with THE same Spicy Thai One Pot recipe on the back! The simple recipe that had been eluding us for so long.

It's not complex, as the name suggests. But, oh, is it easy AND tasty! It's the sort of dish that's greater than the sum of it's parts. And great for those mid-week meals that leave you staring in the pantry and the fridge, wondering what to make for dinner.

This is an adapted version that can be doctored up by adding a variety of veggies but as The Sparkly Girls aren't fond of cooked veg, I keep it pretty bland....until the end when the adults can add as much fire as they want! I recall the original calling for one chopped green pepper.

After a quick search on the internet, I found the original recipe. Find it here!

Start with the basics. Ground beef (not pictured), rice, stock, hot sauce and soy sauce.

Brown about 1 lb of ground beef in a saute pan. (Add any veg - diced carrots, bell pepper, etc. now, too). Once cooked, drain the fat.

Then add 1 1/2 cups of rice (brown, basmati, whatever floats your boat), and stir that around for a bit. Add 3 cups of stock (veg or chicken) and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Turn the heat down and let it simmer for 30 or 40 minutes, until the rice is tender.
When done, dish up portions for the little ones and yourselves, but be sure to add tons of chili garlic sauce (sriracha or sambal oelek) cilantro and chopped green onions to yours. Mix it up well, hum an ode to all that is good in life, and enjoy!

3 comments:

bayleaf said...

Oooh... sounds yummy. If we didn't have those avocados from Paikar staring us in the face and forcing me to make Mexican tonight with the ground beef, I'd be trying this one!! Next week... ;)

Mops said...

I'm just a regular stay at home mum in Toronto living vicariously through friends that travel. Carla G. tipped me off to your blog. I've really enjoy it and just wanted to let you know that I cooked this dish for my family. It was a big hit and we've all decided that it shall become a regular supper dish. We are fond of naming our meals ex. moo cow chow. So my six year old has officialy named your "Thai One Pot" "Jackpot from Scratchistan" So a big thanks from my kitchen in Canada. K.

from scratchistan said...

Thanks, Mops! Great idea on naming dishes like this, especially with small ones in the house! I'll see what my 4 and 5 year olds come up with the next time I make this!!