Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rooibos Mint Sun Tea From Scratch






Continuing the beverage theme, I made a big batch of sun tea this weekend.  It was very reminiscent of high school for some reason.

First I layered a few pieces of muslin.  




Then I found some South African rooibos teabags in the pantry.  I measured out about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the rooibos. 







And then about 1/2 tablespoon of darjeeling tea.   This is just what I had on hand.  You can go any which way with this. 





And then I added an equal portion of dried mint (2 tablespoons) onto the muslin clothe.  I love mint!  Fresh, dried, doesn't matter. In my tea, in my mojito, in my mint chip ice cream, in my salads.  Delish.







Next I tied the tea and mint up with some string, forming a make shift steeping bag. 





Then I cleaned out the largest glass container I have.





And poured about 12 cups of water in it.





And tossed in the tea and mint combo.  Looks like a gross science experiment doesn't it?  Think fetal pig.  Or not.  Maybe that's why this tea reminds me of high school...





Bring your tea outside into direct sun for a few hours to steep.





After about an hour, this is what it looked like. 





And after about three hours, it was done!




The mint adds such a nice kick.  Next time I'll try fresh mint and see if I can't get the minty background even brighter.

Put it in the fridge and serve over ice so it's nice and cold.  Then grab a book and find your hammock and enjoy a quiet Sunday afternoon.  Then tell me what a quiet afternoon reading a book in a hammock drinking fresh sun tea feels like so I can live vicariously through you!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this one! I guess with two kids you don't have time to sit back and enjoy a quiet Sunday afternoon, eh?! = )